Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers.
Peter Cushing

Tuesday 30 August 2016

Master and Commander

It's post 200! Blimey, you do whack through them, don't you? And it's always nice to have a landmark post with some landmark content. So here is the first go at 1/1200 ships completed.



She's a 112 gun Ocean class French ship of the line, the Imperial - later named the Royal Louis - and painted in curiously british yellow and black. 

The painting was relatively simple but hampered by the fact that the sails were in place and also that I'd stuck the ratlines on. Next time they stay off until the rigging stage. 


A couple of shots before rigging. 

The rigging is based in the standing rigging and I only did the minimum to provide structural integrity to the masts. As we've discussed before I have an very unprofessional approach to historical accuracy when it comes to miniatures. 




Overall I'm very happy with this. For a first attempt it's pretty good.  I've learnt a lot which I can use on the next one. Which, history fans, looks like being the Santissima Trinidad. 

12 comments:

  1. Wow! It was worth waiting to see. Very nicely done, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, stuff historical accuracy if it gets in the way! At this scale it's surely an overall impression of a ship of the line that your trying to achieve, which you quite clearly have done.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, that is pretty much exactly the aim.

      Delete
  3. Now look at that, a thing of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lord A. It's one of the rare things I've done I just enjoy looking at.

      Delete
  4. Cracking good stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy. Looking forward to doing another!

      Delete
  5. It looks majestic. I am in awe of those such as yourself who are so adept at putting together such finicky and delicate models.
    The watery basing is especially fine, I expect to see dolphins popping in and out of it.
    Well done sir.

    ReplyDelete