Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers.
Peter Cushing

Monday 15 February 2016

Space Hulk Part I

This was my other purchase on ebay.

I dug out my old Space Hulk the other week and realised that the plastic terminators had gone missing somewhere along the line. This isn't a disaster as the plastic terminators are, frankly, a bit rubbish.

So a quick scout around shows that 1990 vintage metal terminators are available for very little. So a quick splurge and...



10 terminators for £20 - which, incidentally, is nearly how much the naff plastic ones go for. Madness. 

It seemed like a good opportunity to crack out the airbrush as I could basecoat and highlight in one go. 



Then it was time to start the detail. I decided that the only modern style painting I wanted to do on them was the lighting claw, so a bit of wet blending was called for:


Daylight colour check:


A quick highlight and then on to freehand markings in the old Rogue Trader style. I wanted to go for a soviet style as the Terminators and Dreadnaughts have always put me in mind of tanks; and as a massive T-34 fan, what else can you do?




So here are the two squads looking pristine as if they've just stepped off the dropship. Up next will be the chips, scoring and oilstains to make them look like they've been dumped out on a drifting Space Hulk for a couple of years. The graffiti - a mainstay of the Space Marines I grew up with back in the late 80s - will be in white, just like the stuff you used to see on soviet tanks. I haven't decided whether to do it in the Cyrillic alphabet or not yet. 




2 comments:

  1. Superb! Who would want naff plastic when you could have these metal bruisers - love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have such a comforting weight in the hand. Love proper chunky metals.

    ReplyDelete